St. John’s Brass Band
St. John’s Brass & Reed Band, one of Limericks oldest and best known bands, was formed in 1865 and down through the years has entertained the people of Limerick and its environs on countless occasions. While the band was established within the parish of St. John’s from which it derived its name and with which it has maintained strong links, St John’s Brass & Reed Band is very much a Limerick band. Over the last century and a half, the band has played an active and very prominent part in Limericks cultural development.
The support from the JP McManus Benevolent Fund:
- Enabled the Band, in advance of its 150 year Anniversary, to complete the sound-proofing of the new band room, installation of a security system in addition to a complete renovation of the existing class-rooms/library in the main building. The band room facilities are now ranked as one of the best in the country.